Monday, June 08, 2015

The Turtle Whisperer

I have a thing for turtles. I think I have turtle karma, as they always seem to cross my path. It's like, "Oh yeah, NBD...there's another turtle". I see or find one at least once or twice a week, sometimes more, sometimes several in one day!

In Florida, there was Barry and Barbara, which always surprised me in my garden. I knew land turtles lived there, but as far as I knew, they weren't that common in suburban areas. Up here in Virginia, there are turtles all over the place, primarily the Eastern Box Turtle. My husband and I are on constant lookout to save stunned turtles from the middle of a busy road. I can't count how many turtles we have rescued. I've even found them on my property at times inside my fenced-in yard. How do they get in there?

My husband and I have a saying that goes, "One does not seek the turtle; the turtle chooses you," so imagine my delight when I saw this handsome guy/girl when I went out to water my garden this morning:


I came around the side of the house to the outside corner of my garage and there he/she was. My garage door was open and I didn't want he/she to scamper in (can turtles scamper?), so I left him/her where he/she was and closed the garage door. Apparently, he/she has somewhere important to go!

No comments:

 

design + development by kelly christine studio